An accident with a semi-truck or 18 wheeler can be devastating. A personal injury lawyer can help.
If you need help, don’t hesitate to reach out to the Olson Law Firm, LLC today to schedule a free consultation. Call or use the contact form to talk.
Commercial Truck Accidents in Golden, Colorado
Trucking companies have a legal duty to ensure that their fleet is always operating with the highest level of safety in mind. When a commercial truck accident occurs, the results can be truly catastrophic.
Less than three percent of all highway accidents in Colorado involve a large truck. Yet, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) reports that nearly ten percent of fatal accidents in the state involve commercial trucks.
Unfortunately, in far too many cases, truck drivers and trucking companies fail to live up to their basic safety obligations. As a result, innocent people are at risk. To make matters even more challenging, large trucking companies and their insurance carriers are notoriously aggressive in defending injury claims after accidents. They make it difficult for victims to get the full and fair compensation that they deserve. Golden truck accident lawyer Sean Olson can help. After a truck accident in Golden, contact our law firm today for a free consultation.
Catastrophic Injuries Caused by Truck Accidents in Colorado
Very few people walk away from truck accidents unharmed. In most cases, victims suffer injuries that involve a very long recovery. In severe cases, the individual may never fully recover or the injuries may result in death.
Some injuries restrict not only a person’s ability to work, but also their basic ability to care for themselves. Such victims may need 24-hour full-time assistance with all of their daily functions.
Some of the injuries our clients struggle with after a truck accident include:
Families who have lost a loved one to catastrophic truck accident injuries may still be able to demand justice through a wrongful death lawsuit. Please do not hesitate to reach out to Sean Olson today to learn about all your legal options for financial recovery after a crash.
What to Do After a Truck Accident in Golden
- Seek Immediate Medical Attention: After a commercial truck accident in Golden, you need to get yourself to a doctor for a comprehensive examination. This is vitally important for several reasons. Most notably, you need to get yourself medical care so that you can protect your health and set yourself up to make the best possible recovery. In addition, you will only be able to bring a viable personal injury claim if you have medical documentation.
- Preserve Relevant Evidence: The scene of a truck accident can be entirely overwhelming. This is especially true if you were severely injured in the wreck. Still, to the best of your ability, you should try to secure crash-related evidence. For example, it is best to take pictures of the vehicle damage, take pictures of the accident scene, get witness contact information, request a copy of the police report, and record any other evidence that might be relevant to your claim.
- Be Wary of Insurance Adjusters: The big trucking companies and their insurance providers handle many truck accident claims. This is a business to them. Their ultimate goal is to settle your claim for the lowest amount possible. In fact, they may even try to deny your claim altogether. You need to protect yourself. You should never give a statement to the trucking company or insurance company without speaking to a lawyer first.
- Consult With a Golden Truck Accident Attorney: After a truck accident injury, it is best to seek guidance with the claim. A truck accident lawyer will assess the facts of your case. They will figure out the best course of action and work to serve your interests.
Who Can Is Liable for a Golden Truck Accident?
Truck accident claims can be complex. There are several different parties that could potentially be liable for the wreck. In fact, in some cases, more than one defendant may even share the blame for your accident. Our Golden, CO law firm will identify all the negligent parties. That way you can make a full financial recovery. This could include:
- The trucker;
- The trucking company;
- The company leasing the vehicle;
- Any other company involved in the trucking operation;
- The manufacturer of the truck or trailer; and
- A third-party driver.
Injured Victims Must Take Action after Golden Truck Accidents
To recover compensation, you must proactively pursue a legal claim. Under Colorado’s statute of limitations for motor vehicle accidents (§ 13-80-101), truck accident victims have three years to initiate legal action. If a claim is not filed before the statute of limitations expires, then the victim will likely not be able to bring a claim at all. There is no reason to wait to take action. Consult with an experienced Golden truck accident attorney quickly after your crash.
Golden, CO Truck Accident Victims Deserve Full Compensation
Following a truck accident in Golden, victims want to know how much their personal injury claim is worth. There is no simple answer to this question. In Colorado, personal injury damages are typically meant to be compensatory in nature. In effect, this means that the value of your claim depends on the total amount of damages that you suffered in the accident. To maximize your financial recovery, your damages must be well-documented and carefully presented. Insurance companies will use any excuse to reduce the value of your claim. At the Olson Law Firm, LLC, we focus on helping victims maximize their settlement. We may be able to help you recover for:
- Damage to your car;
- Emergency medical costs;
- Ongoing medical treatment;
- Related financial damages;
- Disability coverage;
- Lost current and future income;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental anguish;
- Loss of limb; and
- Wrongful death.
How Our Golden, CO Truck Accident Lawyer Can Help You
Golden tractor-trailer accident claims come with many challenges. Not only do these claims often involve complex state and federal safety regulations, but trucking companies and their insurers work aggressively against victims. To protect your legal rights and financial interests, consult with an experienced Golden truck accident lawyer as soon as possible. Our skilled commercial truck accident lawyer Sean Olson is ready to:
- Carefully review and investigate your large truck accident;
- Determine negligence, such as driving while fatigued or under the influence of a substance;
- Work with expert medical witnesses and crash recreation specialists;
- Use legal tools to get access to additional evidence and records held by the trucking company;
- Build the strongest possible claim on your behalf; and
- Negotiate a full settlement offer with the insurance company
Golden Truck Accident Lawyer
Every truck accident is unique, so it’s hard to predict what any particular case is “worth” without a thorough investigation. Some of the factors that affect the value of a truck accident case include the extent of your injuries, the available evidence of what caused the crash, and whether you contributed to the accident in some way. Generally, the more serious your injuries, the more money you might be owed.
A lawyer isn’t required to file an insurance claim or lawsuit after a truck accident, but choosing to work with one is a smart idea. Your attorney can gather evidence to support your claim, document your injuries, negotiate with the liable parties for a full and fair settlement, and take your case to trial if a deal can’t be reached.
Trucks are much bigger and heavier than standard cars, which means they strike with more force. This often leads to greater injuries in the event of a collision. According to the IIHS fatality facts report, trucks are 30 times heavier than cars and that is why vehicle drivers are more vulnerable to accidents.
Most truck accident lawyers, including Sean Olson at the Olson Law Firm, LLC, work on a contingency fee basis. This means that the attorney covers upfront costs and receives only a portion of the compensation they help you get. That means you don’t need to be rich to afford quality truck accident legal representation.
Your attorney might use police accident reports, accounts from the drivers involved in the crash, eyewitness statements, testimony from expert witnesses, medical records, and photos from the crash scene to establish legal responsibility or fault for the crash.
Either or both, depending on what the evidence shows. Truck drivers can be held liable if they acted negligently by, for example, driving while distracted. On the other hand, trucking companies must ensure their employees are adequately trained and drive safely, so the company can be held liable for an accident if they failed in these duties. Also, companies are typically held vicariously liable for their employee’s negligence. This means the trucking company would be responsible even if it didn’t do anything wrong.
Truck accident lawsuits are marathons, not sprints. Most truck accident cases take at least months to resolve. It takes time to gather evidence and medical records to build a strong case for compensation. If settlement negotiations drag on or the liable parties vehemently deny the claim, the case will take longer. Most cases are resolved in negotiation rather than through a trial. A lawsuit generally takes a year or longer.
Sean Olson wrote Results Matter, a book outlining the many stages of a lawsuit so that everyone can understand what goes into a truck accident case. Download your own free copy here.
If the truck driver is found to be at fault for the crash, you could recover compensation from the liability insurance on the truck. Additional commercial liability insurance held by the trucking company could also come into play. Commercial trucks must carry insurance with policy limits much higher than what most private drivers have on their cars. Your own insurance may also be available to you if the trucking company’s insurance is not enough to cover all your damages and losses.
Contact a Golden Truck Accident Attorney Today for Help
We can help. The Olson Law Firm, LLC protects the legal rights and financial interests of injured victims. If you or a loved one is facing fallout from a truck accident, please contact our legal team today for a free, fully confidential review of your claim. From our office in the heart of Golden, we serve communities throughout the region. Call today for help!