Car Accident Attorneys in Golden, CO
Car accidents are one of the biggest public safety problems in the United States.
All communities across our country deal with the devastation of auto accidents.
According to data provided by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), 608 people died in motor vehicle collisions in Colorado in 2016 alone. Many thousands more innocent people sustained severe, sometimes life-altering injuries.
After an accident, victims need to be able to focus on healing, recovering, and supporting their family.
Our Golden law firm commits to helping victims get the full recovery that they deserve.
What to Do After a Car Accident in Golden, Colorado
- Call the police. You must report all car accidents that result in injuries to law enforcement officers. The responding police officer will write an official accident report.
- Exchange information. You need to be sure that you exchange information with all other motorists involved in your crash. Be sure to get their name, their license number, the vehicle’s license plate, and the driver’s insurance information.
- Seek medical attention. Certainly, in an emergency situation, medical treatment always comes before anything else. Though, even if you feel that your injuries are only minor or moderate, you still need to get yourself checked out by a doctor.
- Secure relevant evidence. Strong supporting evidence makes solid car accident claims. The more evidence you can gather from the crash scene, the better. To the best of your ability, you should take photographs of the crash scene, take pictures of your injuries, obtain witness contact information, and get a copy of the police report.
- Do not give a recorded statement. In the days or weeks after a crash, you should expect to receive a phone call from the other driver’s insurance company. If you get such a call, avoid giving them a recorded statement. You are not obligated to answer questions about your accident at this time. Remember, insurance adjusters are not on your side: their primary goal is to find information that they can use against you to reduce the value of your claim.
- Contact a Golden car accident lawyer. There is no reason to go through the auto accident injury claims process alone. While you cannot rely on insurance adjusters for good advice, you can rely on your Golden car accident attorney.
It’s Crucial to Hire a Golden Car Accident Attorney
Too often, injured car accident victims fail to hire a lawyer. This can be a major mistake. Though a lawyer is not required for all types of car accidents, victims who sustained serious injuries should always seek top-quality legal representation. Your Golden lawyer will be ready to:
- Review and investigate your accident;
- Gather and organize all relevant evidence;
- Help you navigate the claims process;
- Make sure that the insurance company treats you fairly;
- Handle all correspondence with insurance adjusters;
- Build the strongest possible case on your behalf;
- Negotiate for a settlement offer; and
- If necessary, file a lawsuit to get you the compensation you deserve.
Negligence in Golden, CO Car Accidents
Colorado is an ‘at fault’ car insurance state. This means that car accident victims must prove that another party was to blame for their accident in order to recover compensation from them. Fault relies on negligence. To prove negligence, your lawyer must be able to establish each of the following four required elements:
- In Colorado, all motorists have a duty to operate their vehicle with reasonable care. You must establish the extent to which this duty existed in your case.
Breach: A breach of duty is the failure to act with proper care. In auto accident cases, a breach of duty can come in many different forms, including speeding, running stop signs, failure to yield, violation of traffic laws, reckless driving, distracted driving, and intoxicated driving.
Causation: It is not enough to prove that another driver violated their duties to drive safely. You must also prove that their breach of duty actually contributed to your injuries.
Damages: Finally, injured car accident victims can only recover compensation in a negligence claim if they can prove their damages. This is a critically important element of any personal injury case.
Common Car Accident Injuries in Golden
The injuries sustained in car accidents vary dramatically. You cannot tell how bad a victim’s injuries will be simply by looking at the resulting damage. In some cases, victims walk away from fiery wrecks with little more than a few scratches. In other cases, people sustain disabling injuries in accidents that may appear to be little more than a fender-bender on the surface level. Each car accident case is unique. Your case deserves personalized attention. At the Olson Law Firm in Golden, Colorado, our legal team has handled cases involving a wide array of different injuries. Some common examples include:
- Whiplash or other forms of soft tissue damage;
- Severe back or neck injuries;
- Spinal cord injuries;
- Broken bones and fractured bones;
- Lacerations, skin wounds, and disfigurement;
- Head injuries, including concussions and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs);
- Internal injuries, including bleeding and organ damage;
- Partial or total paralysis; and
- Mental health injuries.
Types of Damages in Golden Car Accidents
Under Colorado law, injured car accident victims have a right to recover compensation for the full value of their damages. Financial compensation is available for monetary losses that were already incurred, anticipated future expenses, and noneconomic damages. You may be able to recover compensation for:
- Vehicle repairs;
- Vehicle replacement;
- Emergency medical bills;
- Visits to specialists;
- Rehabilitative care;
- Other medical bills;
- Long-term disability;
- Lost wages;
- Diminished earning potential;
- Pain and suffering;
- Mental distress;
- Disfigurement; and
- Wrongful death.
You should always keep in mind that insurance companies aggressively defend auto accident claims. These companies try to limit an injured victim’s financial recovery. If you’re facing injuries from a car crash, you must be sure that your damages are properly documented and well-presented. Golden, CO car accident lawyer Sean Olson can help.
When Can You Bring a Car Accident Lawsuit in Golden, Colorado
Under Colorado law, you have only three years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit, so do not wait to contact a car accident attorney who can help you.
Contact Our Golden Car Accident Attorney Today
At the Olson Law Firm, we have helped many car accident victims recover fair compensation for their losses. Contact our legal team today for a free, no obligation consultation. With an office in Golden, we represent car accident victims throughout the region.