The ridesharing companies Uber and Lyft have drastically changed transportation in Golden and throughout Colorado. Within the last decade, many people in Colorado have come to rely on ridesharing companies as part of their everyday commute.
However, the concept of rideshares is still somewhat new. When Uber and Lyft drivers are involved in an accident, it adds a great deal of legal complexity to the case.
If you suffered injuries in an accident involving Uber or Lyft, consider speaking with a car accident attorney in Golden to help you understand your legal options for seeking compensation for your injuries.
Demanding Compensation After a Lyft or Uber Accident
After a rideshare accident, it may be unclear who is responsible. In a typical car accident, the at-fault driver would be liable for the victim’s injuries, and their insurance company would be required to pay. In some cases, when a driver is on the job at the time of the accident, their employer may also be held liable for the injuries they cause.
Uber and Lyft accidents are unique because, while the drivers are “working for” Uber and Lyft, they are typically classified as independent contractors, which means the rideshare company will often try to deny that they are liable for the accident. Our Golden Uber and Lyft accident attorneys understand that this process seems daunting, which is why we are willing to take on these big companies and hold them responsible for the negligent acts of their drivers.
How Does an Insurance Claim Work in Rideshare Accidents?
Uber provides insurance for its drivers. Whether Uber’s insurance policy covers the accident depends on what stage of the ride the driver is in. Lyft’s policy is nearly identical. Insurance claims work in different ways depending on the facts and circumstances of the rideshare accident.
- If the rideshare driver has a passenger or is on the way to pick up a passenger – During a trip and while the driver is en route to pick up a passenger, Uber’s accident policy applies. This coverage includes standard uninsured/underinsured coverage for motorist bodily injury, as well as $1 million coverage for third-party liability and other coverage such as collision coverage.
- If the rideshare driver has the app on and is waiting for a ride request – Uber also maintains an insurance policy for when drivers are logged in to the app and waiting for a request. This insurance policy only covers third-party liability up to $50,000 if the driver’s personal insurance policy does not apply. The policy also covers bodily injury and property damage for the driver.
- If the driver does not have the app on – When the driver does not have the app turned on, Uber’s insurance does not apply. The driver’s personal insurance will control.
What to Do If You’ve Been Hurt in an Uber or Lyft Accident
If you have been injured in an accident with a rideshare driver, take the following steps to protect your legal rights:
- Seek medical attention right away.
- Call the police to the scene of the accident to create an accident report.
- Report your accident to the rideshare company.
- Record your recollection of the rideshare accident.
- Gather witness information.
- Get help from a lawyer.
How a Golden Uber and Lyft Accident Attorney Can Help You
When a victim is seeking compensation from a large company and negotiating with the insurers, it is easy to be taken advantage of. Insurance companies often use manipulative tactics. Rideshare companies and insurers have teams of lawyers looking to minimize their liability to accident victims. That is why it is usually in a victim’s best interest to have an experienced attorney by their side.
- Fight for you while you focus on recovering – Accident victims are often recovering from severe physical and psychological trauma. The attorneys at Olson Law Firm, LLC believe that victims should not have to deal with the stress of the legal process on top of their injuries. That is why we take care of our client’s cases from start to finish while maintaining regular communication to provide peace of mind.
- Negotiating with insurers – With medical bills and life expenses piling up, it is understandable why a company’s offer of a lump sum of cash might be enticing. However, this often causes victims to undervalue their claim and settle for much less than their claim is worth. A Golden rideshare attorney can help you understand how much you may be entitled to and stand up to the insurers to fight for what you deserve.
- Investigation and discovery – Attorneys know what evidence to look for and how to get it, which is critical to supporting your claim. Attorneys may investigate the accident scene, look into the driver who caused the accident, interview witnesses, review documents and records, and ultimately use this evidence to create a strong case for their clients.
- Support and guidance – We take pride in providing effective legal advice and guiding our clients through the entire process. In addition to handling the paperwork and going to court on your behalf, we are committed to getting to know our clients as individuals and being available to listen and understand their needs.
Causes of Lyft and Uber Accidents in Golden
Like most car crashes, Uber and Lyft car accidents are typically the result of negligent or careless driving. Bear in mind, however, that Uber and Lyft drivers are behind the wheel for much longer each day than an average person, so the likelihood of being involved in an accident increases. Accidents can occur at any point in the ride, but there are some points where the driver is more likely to be distracted, such as when the driver communicates with their passenger, looks at the GPS while navigating, or drives in unfamiliar parts of town. These causes may increase the likelihood of an accident resulting in injuries and losses to the victims involved.
The Time Limit for Filing an Uber Lawsuit
In Colorado, a victim has three years to file a lawsuit for a motor vehicle accident. This statute of limitations period begins running on the day of the collision. If you miss that statutory deadline, you will no longer be able to file a lawsuit against the responsible party. This means you will not be able to seek compensation from the at-fault driver or insurance company. An experienced Colorado ridesharing accident attorney can help ensure that you file your claim on time to preserve your chance to recover damages.
Get Help from a Golden Uber & Lyft Crash Lawyer
The Olson Law Firm, LLC fights for accident victims every day. Although bringing a claim against Uber and Lyft drivers can be more complex than a standard motor vehicle collision case, we have the knowledge and experience necessary to take on these big technology companies and stand up for you.
Contact our team to tell us more about your case. The consultation is free, confidential, and without further obligation.