When a negligent driver causes an accident on a busy Denver roadway, it can have catastrophic consequences, including severe brain injuries.
According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, motor vehicle crashes account for about a quarter of all traumatic brain injury (TBI) hospitalizations in the U.S. In the seconds it takes to cause a crash, a victim’s life could change forever.
At the Olson Law Firm, LLC, we are determined to help Denver car accident victims recover the compensation they need after suffering a TBI. Before you settle for what the insurance company offers, talk to an experienced Denver traumatic brain injury attorney who will fight for the full and fair amount you deserve.
Contact the legal team at the Olson Law Firm, LLC today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Car Accidents and Traumatic Brain Injuries in Denver
The brain orchestrates every function of our body, from our arms and legs to our heartbeat and every breath we take. The brain stores our memories, enables us to learn, and makes us who we are. When this vital organ is damaged, it can trigger life-altering consequences both mentally and physically.
The brain is very vulnerable to the violent forces in a car crash. These severe injuries are widespread in Denver and throughout Colorado.
The Brain Injury Alliance of Colorado estimates that 23,500 emergency room visits are related to traumatic brain injuries every year. Colorado also ranks ninth in the country for TBI-related fatalities and 13th in the nation for TBI-related hospitalizations.
Types of TBIs Suffered in Car Accidents
Car accidents can be catastrophic events, but even the force of a fender bender may be enough to cause a TBI. A TBI is usually caused by a jolt or blow to the head or a penetrating injury.
A TBI may be less severe, as with a mild concussion, or it may be moderate to severe, potentially causing permanent issues such as personality changes or physical disabilities.
The types of TBIs commonly suffered in car accidents include:
- Concussions – A concussion results from the brain being shaken, usually as a result of a sudden impact. Some concussions cause little lasting damage, but severe concussions can result in long-term complications.
- Contusions – A contusion is the bruising of the brain and often accompanies concussions. Contusions could cause pain, swelling, and, in some instances, continuous bleeding that requires surgery to treat.
- Coup-contrecoup injury – In this type of injury, the brain is injured at the site of impact and on the opposite side of the brain, when the impact causes the brain to collide with the other side of the skull.
- Diffuse axonal injury – This is one of the most severe and common types of brain injuries that car accident victims suffer. In a diffuse axonal injury, the brain’s nerve fibers are torn when the brain shifts inside the skull due to an impact, often leading to brain damage, a coma, or death.
- Anoxic or hypoxic injury – Brain trauma resulting from the brain not getting enough oxygen, such as when the blood flow to the brain is disrupted, is called a hypoxic injury. Damage caused by the brain being completely deprived of oxygen is called an anoxic injury.
Diagnosing a Traumatic Brain Injury After a Car Accident
Victims should seek medical attention right away following a Denver car collision. Concussions can be difficult to detect and may manifest only mild symptoms at first. Traumatic brain injuries require immediate medical intervention, especially if the brain is bleeding or swelling.
Diagnostic testing is needed to identify most types of brain injuries. Symptoms of a brain injury may include:
- Confusion or disorientation
- Vision problems
- Sensitivity to light
- Sensitivity to sound
- Slurred speech
- Poor coordination
- Clear fluids from the ears or nose
- Dilation of one or both pupils
- Loss of consciousness
- Mood changes
- Changes in sleeping habits
- Memory problems
- Depression or anxiety
How Our Denver Brain Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Serious Accident
Recovering from a traumatic brain injury is challenging. Yet, while victims should focus on their recovery, they are often inundated with phone calls, complicated claim paperwork, and bills. They may also be simply trying to manage their new normal.
The experienced Denver car accident attorneys with the Olson Law Firm, LLC can help accident victims by shouldering the burden of dealing with complex claims while allowing them to focus on healing.
Our skilled lawyers can help:
- File a claim
- Communicate with the insurance company on your behalf
- Investigate the cause of the accident
- Gather crucial evidence
- Build a compelling claim for full compensation
- Aggressively negotiate on the victim’s behalf
- Prepare a court case if an insurer will not agree to a fair settlement
Demanding the Full Compensation You Need After a Brain Injury
Traumatic brain injuries not only result in physical and mental consequences but there are also serious financial repercussions. A victim’s lifetime treatment costs can range into millions of dollars. When a negligent driver causes an accident that leaves a victim seriously injured, that victim deserves full and fair compensation for their losses.
At the Olson Law Firm, LLC, we work diligently to negotiate with insurers for full compensation for TBI victims. If an insurer refuses to agree to a fair settlement, we are prepared to take the victim’s claim to court. Nothing should stand in the way of a victim trying to recover the money they deserve.
The Time Limit for Filing a Brain Injury Claim in Colorado
Colorado gives victims of car accidents three years from the date of the accident to file a personal injury lawsuit. While this may sound like ample time, it can pass by quickly, especially since it takes time to build a solid case. Once the statute of limitations has expired, a victim may have little to no options for seeking compensation.
Talk to a Denver Brain Injury Attorney Today for Help
Traumatic brain injuries are just that – traumatic. However, the process of pursuing full and fair compensation shouldn’t be. Let the compassionate attorneys with the Olson Law Firm, LLC advocate for your rights and your recovery.
Contact our Denver office today for a free, no-obligation consultation about your case.