A car accident can suddenly and permanently change a person’s life. Debilitating injuries from a crash can take months, or even years, to recover from, if a full recovery is possible. These injuries don’t just greatly affect the quality of life for the individual, their treatment also comes with immense cost.
If you or a family member has been seriously hurt in a crash that was caused by someone else’s negligence, you should know that you have a right to demand compensation for your current and future losses. At the Olson Law Firm, our Denver car accident lawyer has the experience and the resources to fight for maximum compensation for you. Our firm has earned a reputation across Colorado for providing an unwavering customer experience and outstanding results.
Please reach out today to speak directly with firm founder Sean Olson about your case. Sean is ready to listen to your story, answer your questions, and help you pursue the money you need to move forward with your life after a tragic crash. Contact us now to set up your free consultation.
How Our Denver Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You
After a serious car crash, victims and their families are often just trying to cope with their injuries and make ends meet. Simply getting through the day is sometimes a struggle, never mind battling with insurance companies and looking for evidence to support a claim. This is why so many seek the help of an experienced car accident lawyer in Denver.
There are a number of ways Sean Olson and his trusted legal team can help you, including:
- Taking over all communication with the insurance companies and the at-fault party on your behalf
- Collecting extensive documentation to support your Denver personal injury claim, including consulting with experts and specialists about how your injuries will affect you in the future
- Identifying all possible sources of compensation
- Building a strong case according to Colorado accident laws
- Aggressively negotiating for a maximum car accident settlement or arguing your case before a jury, if that is what is necessary to fight for your best interests
If you are ready to speak with a knowledgeable and compassionate Denver car accident attorney, please contact Sean Olson today. He will give you and your case the attention you deserve.
A Denver Car Accident Lawyer Can Help You With These Types of Damages:
When you file a personal injury claim, you are asking either the insurance company or the at-fault party to provide you with compensation. This compensation is known as compensatory damages, or actual damages. These damages are meant to reimburse you for any financial expense or any other loss you suffered due to the accident. In Colorado, these types of damages are broken down into economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are those that have an actual monetary value. Types of economic damages include:
- Medical bills and anticipated future expenses
- Costs for repairing or replacing your vehicle
- Accommodations required to make your home accessible, such as the installation of wheelchair ramps
- Prescription costs
- Lost income
- Loss of future earning capacity, if you’re left unable to return to the same type of work
Due to the fact that economic damages rely heavily on the costs you’ve incurred or will incur, it’s important to file a claim only once you understand the full extent of your injuries.
Non-economic damages refer to losses you have suffered but don’t have an actual dollar value. The courts recognize that you still deserve compensation for these losses, which include:
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Due to the fact that these losses are more difficult to calculate, many factors are taken into consideration when estimating the cost of these damages. These include the job you held before the accident, your lifestyle, and any pre-existing injuries or disfigurements.
In cases when a motorist has been extremely reckless or shown gross negligence, the courts may also award punitive damages. These are not to compensate you for your losses, but rather, they are meant to punish the defendant and deter them from similar behavior in the future. Punitive damages may be appropriate in car accident cases that involve excessive speeding, drunk driving, and intentionally driving an unsafe vehicle.
Time Limit for Filing a Car Accident Lawsuit in Denver
After a collision, victims have a limited amount of time to file a car accident lawsuit. This is known as the statute of limitations. Most personal injury cases in Colorado have a time limit of two years. However, car accident cases are a bit different from other types of injury claims as they have a statute of limitations of three years from the date of the accident.
Colorado also has several exceptions to the statute of limitations on car accident lawsuits. For example, if the accident involved a city bus, the timeframe is much shorter to file a claim.
The statute of limitations in any case is a very important deadline. If you file your claim once the legally allowed amount of time has passed, the courts will likely throw out your case. These time limits can also be confusing to those who are not very familiar with Colorado law, so you should speak to a Denver car accident lawyer as soon as possible to avoid missing any important deadlines.
Call A Denver Car Accident Lawyer If You’ve Been Hurt in a Car Accident
Immediately following a car crash, there are several important steps to take to protect any future claim you may file. These include:
- Report the accident to law enforcement: This is law in Denver if the accident resulted in property damage, injury, or death. After arriving on the scene, the police officer may or may not write a report. If you are injured or think you might file a claim in the future, you can ask that they do file a report. This can help support your claim for compensation.
- Exchange information with the other driver: You must get certain information from the other driver, including the driver’s license number, license plate number, insurance information, and contact information. It’s hard to track down the at-fault driver if you don’t have this information.
- Ask witnesses for their contact information: The testimony of witnesses who saw the wreck is often a great help in auto accident claims. Make sure you get their names, phone numbers, and a brief statement of what they saw.
- Seek medical attention: You should see a doctor after a collision even if you don’t think you were badly injured. A doctor will perform a full exam and will know to look for certain symptoms and signs of injury. If you know you’re injured, explain the full extent of your injuries as best you can. The doctor will include this in the medical report, which can also help substantiate a claim.
- Do not speak to the other party’s insurance company: When someone else was at fault for the accident, their insurance company will contact you right away. They may offer a low-ball settlement before you know the full extent of your injuries, or they may try to get you to accept blame for the accident so they don’t have to pay out as much. Do not speak to the other side’s insurance company before you have hired an experienced car accident attorney in Denver who can ensure your rights are protected.
- Contact an attorney: Although an auto accident attorney can take on a case at almost any point, it’s best for you to have skilled representation from the very beginning. Sean Olson and his respected legal team will fully investigate the facts of your case, craft a strong claim for maximum compensation, and take the burden off you and your family.
- Keep a journal: Your personal injury case could take a long time to settle or have a judgment made on it in court. In the meantime, keep a journal outlining your injuries, how they are responding to treatment, your experiences, and how your life has been impacted by the accident. This will also help build your case.
- Follow through with all recommended medical treatment: This will help ensure you achieve maximum medical improvement, while also showing the insurance company that you are taking your injuries and your case seriously.
Please do not hesitate to contact the Olson Law Firm if you have been hurt in a motor vehicle accident caused by a truck, motorcycle, cyclist, or pedestrian and need legal help. A consultation is free, and you do not pay us anything unless we win money for you.
Common Car Accident Injuries a Denver Car Accident Lawyer Can Help With
A person can suffer a number of injuries during a car crash depending on where their vehicle was hit and other circumstances surrounding the accident. Some of the most common injuries include:
- Whiplash: This is when the neck is thrust forward and then backward very quickly. It’s very painful and can take some time to heal.
- Deep lacerations: Loose items in the car and cracked or broken windows can all cause deep cuts and scrapes in the event of an accident. These may sound minor, but they pose a risk of infection and other complications.
- Traumatic brain injuries: During an accident, your head can hit the steering wheel, dashboard, windshield, and a number of other things. Concussions and other traumatic brain injuries should always be treated seriously.
- Broken ribs: Ribs are extremely fragile. Even a small impact can cause one to break. After suffering a broken rib, accident victims must rest for a very long time. This injury can also lead to further complications, such as a punctured lung.
- Multiple broken bones: Also known as serious orthopedic injuries, it’s common for accident victims to suffer multiple broken bones that require several surgeries to fix.
- Internal bleeding: This is one injury that is sometimes difficult to spot, but a doctor will know what to look for. These injuries are extremely serious and can be fatal.
- Herniated disc: Discs in the spine can easily slip out of place during a car crash. These injuries are not only extremely painful, they also take a long time to recover from.
- Knee injuries: Knees are particularly vulnerable in a car crash. They can strike the steering wheel or dashboard with great impact, shattering bones and damaging joints and nerves. These injuries cause difficulty in walking and may require accident victims to use crutches or braces.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder: Car accidents are traumatic, particularly when they result in serious injuries. It’s natural for accident victims to suffer mentally and emotionally after a crash. Some people don’t drive for years after an accident out of fear of another crash, while some never get behind the wheel again.
These are unfortunately just a few of the injuries suffered by accident victims after a car crash. They are all painful, typically have long recovery periods, and are extremely costly to treat.
Common Causes of Denver Car Accidents
Just as there are many potential injuries that result from car accidents, there are also many common causes. Some of the common causes of crashes our team investigates include:
- Distracted driving: Although texting and driving is illegal in Colorado, drivers are still becoming distracted by their phones. Things like applying makeup, eating, and constantly using music apps or GPS are all also examples of distracted driving.
- Impaired driving: Even with all the awareness today surrounding the dangers of impaired driving, it’s another dangerous behavior that too many motorists engage in.
- Speeding: Speeding doesn’t just cause car accidents. It also contributes to the severe extent of injuries seen after them. The greater the speed, the greater the impact on other vehicles and accident victims.
- Reckless driving: Moving quickly in and out of lanes, speeding excessively, and cutting other motorists off are just a few examples of reckless driving. It’s extremely dangerous behavior that puts lives at risk.
- Running red lights: Another dangerous behavior that no motorist should engage in, when a driver runs a red light, there’s a very good chance that someone is going to be injured.
- Tailgating: One of the best ways to stay safe on the roads is to allow plenty of room between your vehicle and the one in front of you. When drivers don’t do this, it’s known as tailgating and can result in a serious crash.
These behaviors are considered negligence, and they put the lives of other drivers in danger. As such, if you are hurt in an accident due to one of these reasons (or another not listed here), you should talk to us about your right to file a claim for compensation.
Talk to a Denver Car Accident Attorney Now!
Car accidents are one of the most common types of personal injury claims filed every year. However, they are also some of the most complex. If you’ve been injured, you can trust Denver car accident lawyer Sean Olson to put his knowledge and skills to work for you.
Our Denver car accident law firm fights to protect the rights of crash victims, including taking your case to trial if that’s what is necessary. Contact us today for your free case review, and learn how Sean can make a difference for you.