Nursing Home AbuseTypes & Statistics
Types of Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect
Neglect, Including Failure to Provide Reasonable Care
Nursing Home Abuse and Neglect Statistics in Cheyenne & Denver Areas
Around 10% of elderly people are abused each year in the U.S.
Women experience elder abuse more often than men.
Colorado has experienced a growing number of elder abuse and neglect reports each year – over 25,000 reports in FY 2018-19 alone.
People with dementia or other physical or mental impairments suffer a higher rate of mistreatment.
Signs ofNursing Home Abuse and Neglect
- Fear of staff
- Staff refuses to give you privacy when you visit
- Deteriorating health
- Missing items or unexplained purchases
- Facility suddenly limits your access during normal visiting hours
- Dirty facilities, such as common areas or your loved one’s room
- Poor hygiene
- Your loved one is wearing dirty clothes or sleeping on dirty sheets
- Fall injuries like bruises and broken bones
- Residents have repeatedly wandered out of the home unsupervised
How to Report Nursing Home Abuse in Cheyenne & Denver Areas
If you believe it is a life-threatening emergency, call 911.
Contact Colorado’s Adult Protective Services (APS) or the Wyoming Department of Family Services for information about policies and services.
Contact the nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys at the Olson Law Firm for help.
Report the neglect or abuse to the local APS office.
- Denver APS: 720-944-2994
- Cheyenne APS: 844-264-5437
- Provide the name of the facility where you suspect the abuse is happening, the name of your loved one, and any other details you can share, such as the possible signs of abuse that you have observed.