Unfortunately, caregiver neglect is all too common in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and throughout the United States.
About 1 in 10 Americans age 60 and older have experienced some form of elder neglect, according to National Council on Aging. Some estimates say 5 million elders who are abused each year. Sadly, many neglect and abuse cases are unreported. A study from the National Research Council found that a mere 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse are reported to authorities.
If your loved one has been the victim of caregiver neglect, you need to seek legal representation as soon as you can. The Cheyenne caregiver neglect attorneys at Olson Law Firm, LLC are ready to help. Call now to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation with our skilled and compassionate attorneys.
Signs of Caregiver Neglect in Cheyenne, Wyoming
Elder neglect is a criminal offense that is characterized by the caregiver’s failure to fulfill their obligation. Neglect is the most common form of elder abuse. Neglect has serious consequences for the elderly, who are often already suffering from health complications.
Signs of caregiver neglect include:
- Poor personal hygiene
- Lack of suitable clothing for the weather
- Absence of necessities like food and water
- Dehydration or malnutrition, which may be evidenced by weight loss, extreme thirst, low urinary output, dry skin, sore mouth, lack of energy, apathy, and confusion
- Missing aids, such as walkers, glasses, dentures, prescription medications, or hearing aids
- Being left in bed for extended periods
- Living area is dirty or cluttered
- Broken appliances
- Unsafe housing due to disrepair, inadequate sanitation, or unsatisfactory cleanliness
- Insect or animal infestations
- Living area is lacking essential amenities, such as electricity, stove, refrigerator, heating, and cooling
- Severe bed sores or pressure ulcers
- Mood swings or emotional withdrawal
- Desertion at a public place
Caregiver neglect is often the result of inadequate training, insufficient supervision, and under-staffing.
What to Do after Suspecting Caregiver Neglect
If you witness or suspect elder abuse or neglect, it’s critical that you act immediately. We recommend you take the following steps:
- Report the abuse or neglect immediately, no matter if you are related to the victim.
- Even if you are not positive that abuse occurred, it’s best to err on the side of caution.
- If the victim is seriously injured or in pain, call 911.
- Take any measure you can to stop the abuse or neglect before it worsens and causes more pain to a defenseless victim.
- Call an experienced Cheyenne caregiver neglect and abuse attorney.
If your loved one was harmed due to a caregiver’s negligence, you have the right to take immediate action to put a stop to this mistreatment and hold the responsible party accountable through a civil lawsuit.
Contact Olson Law Firm, LLC for Help Now
At Olson Law Firm, LLC, our Cheyenne elder abuse lawyers are ready to advocate for you and your loved one. If you suspect your loved one’s caregiver is neglecting them, call us today for a free and confidential consultation. We will discuss all your legal options and what steps we can take together to protect your loved one.