A car accident could happen due to a wide variety of factors. Some causes of car accidents are statistically more common than others, however. For example, distracted driving, speeding, drunk driving, and others are very common in Golden and across Colorado.
If you’ve been severely injured in a car accident in Golden, CO, turn to the attorneys at the Olson Law Firm, LLC for skilled legal representation. Since 2011, attorney Sean Olson and the Olson Law Firm have fought to protect the rights of people injured through no fault of their own.
Contact us online or call our firm today for a free initial consultation to learn how an experienced Golden car accident attorney can help you seek the compensation you need to pay your bills, recoup lost wages, and put the accident behind you.
According to the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT), intoxicated driving was responsible for 6,073 accidents in Colorado in a single recent year. Over the last 10 years, driver intoxication has caused an average of about 6,000 crashes each year.
Driving under the influence of alcohol impairs a driver’s ability to safely operate a vehicle. Even consuming one alcoholic beverage may mean ingesting enough alcohol to cause impairment by the effect of alcohol intoxication.
Negative effects of alcohol intoxication on a driver can include:
- Slowing down a driver’s reflexes, making them unable to quickly react to an emergency on the road
- Altering a driver’s perception, which can impair their ability to recognize a dangerous situation or hazard on the road in front of them
- Impairing a driver’s judgment, which can lead a driver to make slow decisions or the wrong decision while behind the wheel
- Lowering a driver’s inhibitions, potentially causing a driver to engage in reckless or aggressive driving behaviors such as speeding, tailgating, or weaving through traffic
As with alcohol, driving under the influence of drugs – including not only illegal drugs but also prescription and over-the-counter medications – can diminish a motorist’s ability to safely control their vehicle. In addition to impairing reflexes, judgment, and perception, different classes of drugs can also lower a driver’s inhibitions or cause them to suffer hallucinations.
Crash statistics from CDOT show that distracted driving causes thousands of crashes across Colorado. In one recent year, distracted driving accidents included:
- 1,285 accidents caused by distractions from another passenger in the vehicle
- 1,996 accidents caused by driving while using a cell phone
- 472 accidents caused while tuning or adjusting the vehicle radio/infotainment
All other types of distractions accounted for 11,393 accidents that year.
Taking your eyes off the road for even a few seconds to adjust the radio or read a text message can prove incredibly dangerous. On the highway, in those few seconds that a driver’s attention focuses on something other than the road, their car can travel the length of a football field or more.
Speeding or Driving Too Fast for Conditions
Speeding represents one of the most common factors in car accidents. When a driver chooses to speed, they leave themselves less time and room to react to a hazard on the road, such as another vehicle pulling out in front of them or stopped traffic. Speeding also makes it harder for drivers to control their cars, especially with slick road conditions. Speed also increases the severity of an accident and the risk that those involved in the crash will suffer significant injuries.
CDOT crash statistics show that reckless or aggressive driving caused 6,896 accidents in Colorado in one year. Behaviors that constitute reckless driving include excessive speeding, tailgating, brake-checking, or weaving through heavy traffic at high speed. Reckless driving tends to result in more violent and catastrophic car crashes, causing severe injuries that may result in permanent disability or death.
According to CDOT, driver fatigue caused a total of 1,102 motor vehicle accidents in Colorado in a single recent year. Driver fatigue can occur at the end of a long day or when drivers fail to get sufficient restful sleep. Commercial drivers or drivers on long road trips may find themselves especially prone to drowsiness. If a driver is feeling fatigued, it can cause impairments similar to the effects of alcohol intoxication. Drowsy drivers may also engage in microsleep, or falling unconscious for periods lasting several seconds.
Failure to Yield Right-of-Way
Failure to yield the right-of-way can occur in many different situations on the road, such as:
- Failing to stop at a red light or a stop sign
- Failing to yield when arriving at a four-way stop intersection at the same time as another vehicle
- Failing to yield to oncoming traffic when making a left turn
- Failing to yield when merging into an adjacent lane
- Failing to yield to pedestrians in the crosswalk or intersection
CDOT reports that driver inexperience led to 10,359 motor vehicle crashes throughout Colorado during a recent year. New drivers are still familiarizing themselves with the rules of the road and good driving habits. Inexperienced drivers may panic or not know what to do when they find themselves in an emergency. Inexperienced drivers may also singularly focus on other vehicles on the road, failing to notice motorcycles, bicycles, or pedestrians around them.
Compensation for a Car Accident Claim
If you have been injured in a car accident in Golden that was not your fault, you may be entitled to recover financial compensation from the driver or other party responsible for the crash. Financial recovery in a car accident claim can cover expenses and losses such as:
- Costs of medical treatment, physical rehab, and mental therapy
- Loss of income or wages when you take time from work to recover following the accident
- Loss of earning potential when your injuries result in disabilities that prevent you from going back to work
- Emotional distress and physical pain caused by your injuries and subsequent medical treatment and rehabilitation
- Loss of quality of life caused by physical disabilities or scarring and disfigurement that interferes with the enjoyment of life.
- Repair bills for vehicle damage or the cash value of your car if it was totaled in the accident
Contact a Golden Car Accident Lawyer Today
The Golden car accident lawyers of the Olson Law Firm, LLC provide skilled representation for people hurt in collisions due to other people’s negligence. We have the right skills and experience to help you seek compensation from the at-fault parties. Call us or contact us online for a free case review now.